small steps to big dreams
In my early 20’s I was part of an informal women’s group. We met once a month, about 5 of us. We shared and listened and drank tea. At the end of the evening, we’d set goals. People had goals like, ask my boss for a raise, or try to get my art in that new gallery downtown, or stand up to my harassing co-worker. And then there were my goals, which were usually something like: repot my spider plant.
And it’s not that I don’t have big dreams, it’s more that I don’t know what my big dreams are, because I’m focusing on small, simple steps, which inevitably take me to the big dreams that were brewing all the while.
Last spring, I took the class, A Soulful Cleanse with Rebecca Mullen. And it was all the best parts of that women’s group. A chance to share, to listen and to set small, simple goals (my choice – any size goal welcome). I had been wanting a home work space, not necessarily a place to write—that usually happens at the library or sprawled out on my bed with my coffee cup precariously balanced on a book—but a place to organize ideas for stories, to track whom I’ve queried and the response, whom I’ve invoiced and which stories I’ve been paid for.
But, you know we live in 800 square feet, and it just didn’t seem like there was any extra space. Well, Rebecca Mullen doesn’t believe that there isn’t any extra space.
Rebecca Mullen is a Certified Life Coach (incidentally, “life coach” was one of 100 new words added to Merriam Webster’s Dictionary this year. Yeah!), trained by Martha Beck, a contributing writer to O Magazine and best-selling author. Rebecca is wise, insightful, patient, and listens so well that she hears the words behind your words, which oftentimes is where the biggest truths lie.
The good news is:
1) I am getting the business end of my writing life organized, thanks to Rebecca.
2) Rebecca is offering another round of A Soulful Cleanse.
3) Because the class is conducted through e-mail/phone, anyone, anywhere can take it!
4) Every participant gets an additional 30-minute one-on-one coaching session with Rebecca.
5) The first 2 readers of 6512 to e-mail Rebecca at rebecca(AT)altaredspaces(DOT)com get 50% off her next class, which starts September 13th.
May your small goals lead to big dreams.